[LINK] Priorities [WAS: Battery back-up mandatory for NBN?]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sat Nov 6 15:16:00 AEDT 2010

On 6/11/2010 2:57 PM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 2:34 PM, David Boxall wrote:
>> On 6/11/2010 12:33 PM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>> ... there has been no priority setting.
>> I disagree. For whatever reasons, the NBN has been given priority.
>> Though some might disagree with it, that priority has been set.
>
> OK, I'll rephrase: There has been no public discussion regarding priorities.

 From memory, the history of the NBN harks back to the Networking the
Nation Report of the mid 1990s. There have since been various proposals
from the Coalition (remember OPEL?) and Labor.

The outcome of the last tender process (2009) showed that:
* private enterprise couldn't do the job and
* Telstra would do its damnedest to stop the job being done.

Getting around Telstra's monopoly on the last mile would require
replacing their CAN. Hence, FTTP.

I reckon there's been far too much talk already.

--
David Boxall                    |  Dogs look up to us
                                |  And cats look down on us
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  But pigs treat us as equals
                                                    --Winston Churchill