[LINK] Shirky: Murdoch's Times paywall is pretty much like all the other paywalls

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Nov 11 12:00:01 AEDT 2010

On 11/11/2010, at 11:36 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> I had a project
> once where the guy who created the original webpages didn't include
> the links, just the text of articles. Well, rather than get him in
> trouble with copyright (it was a rather visible site), I suggested we
> put the links. I was able to find all of them, despite them not being
> 'searchable' from the Age website. It wasn't very hard.

That's an intriguing interpretation of copyright law. Reproducing someone else's text is a breach of their copyright, whether or not you link back to their original.

Well, there are "fair dealing" provisions, such as for news reporting or academic purposes, but "I linked back" isn't one of them.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia