[LINK] Micro-inverters and Browser Monitoring Key to Solar Power

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Nov 16 07:39:10 AEDT 2010

(Wandering dangerously off-topic, off-list...)

On 15/11/2010, at 11:08 PM, Ben McGinnes wrote:

> On 15/11/10 8:11 PM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>>
>> On 15/11/2010, at 7:24 PM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
>>
>>> This doesn't mean the excessive power consumption of air conditioners
>>> is a good thing, it certainly isn't, but there are other issues to
>>> consider and health and life are pretty high on my list.
>>
>> Always an interesting philosophical standpoint: for the greater good etc.
>
> Or maybe I'm just a wuss and not prepared to arbitrarily condemn
> random people to death (or a significantly increased chance of it).

Interesting pluralistic deontological aside: whose random deaths are we referring to? And how does one condemn others to this fate?

Is it the people of the future - for whom the prospect of having an environment that kills them - or the people of today, for whom the environment is not yet hostile, and whose resilience is (apparently) weakening?

It's a good example of the trolley car paradox (moral action/inaction/obligation).

Warmly

iT