[LINK] NBN plan has the signs of a historic stuff-up

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Nov 23 09:39:54 AEDT 2010

Whatever the government thinks it's doing, it's making the natives restless:
<http://www.smh.com.au/business/nbn-plan-has-the-signs-of-a-historic-stuffup-20101121-182ld.html>
> [...]

> And I admire the government's consciousness of the need for us to be ready to adopt and exploit the opportunities for benefit that future technological advance will make possible.
>
> The Productivity Commission could be required to ensure its cost-benefit analysis ranged far more widely than a mere commercial evaluation, taking account of present and potential ''social'' benefits (''positive externalities'') and acknowledging those whose value it can't quantify.
>
> But there are three aspects of the plan that worry me. They're things economists are trained to see but to which non-economists are often oblivious.
>
> The first is the mentality that says we've got a lot of messy and inadequate telecom arrangements at present, so let's scrap 'em all and start afresh. Copper wire to the home - make Telstra turn it off. Telstra and Optus's existing rival optical fibre-coaxial cables to many capital-city homes - close 'em down.
>
> This Ruddish approach would be fine if resources were infinite, or if getting a brand spanking new broadband network was the Australian public's only desire.
>
> But resources are finite, both sides of politics have sworn to eliminate all government debt and we have an infrastructure backlog as long as your arm. In two words: opportunity cost.
>
> Second is the idea of building a gold-plated broadband network up to eight times faster than any present application needs, so we're ready for anything that may come along some time in the future.
>
> If you think that shows vision and foresight, you're innocent of ''the time value of money''. Every dollar you spend now rather than later comes at an extra cost: the interest you have to pay between now and when you start using the idle capacity.
>
> True, it's false economy to build something today without allowing for reasonable growth in your use of the item. But there comes a point where allowing for more growth than you're likely to see in ages becomes a waste of money.
>
> Private businesses that do this - such as home owners who overcapitalise their properties - do their dough. Government businesses survive either by overcharging their customers or falling back on the taxpayer.
>
> The final worry is the way that - notwithstanding the break-up of Telstra - the plan involves deliberately reducing competition from other networks in the telecommunications market. Why's that a good idea?
>
> And why would the government plan to do it? Because it knows its network will be hugely over-engineered and the only way of charging consumers the high prices needed to recoup that excess cost is to turn broadband into a monopoly.
>
> If Gillard had any sense of self-preservation she'd be using the Productivity Commission to get herself off a nasty hook.

I don't agree with all that Ross says, but I can see where he's coming
from. Perhaps this is the purpose of Tony Abbott's pathologically
adversarial behaviour.

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                |  The more they come to appreciate
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  How much they don't know.
                                                         --Confucius