[LINK] NBN Summary of Business Case was Re: NBN Co to build wireless network from late 2011

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 25 09:55:49 AEDT 2010

On 25/11/10 9:35 AM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> NBN Co to build wireless network from late 2011
>> By Ry Crozier
>> Nov 24, 2010 3:42 PM
>> iTnews
>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/239650,nbn-co-to-build-wireless-network-from-late-2011.aspx
> <snip>
>> The summary also provided a significant insight into the costing
>> assumptions for the NBN and how the total build cost would be impacted
>> if a deal with Telstra fell through.
> <snip>
>
> Ofcourse, the government could just legislate to regulate the
> bit they are buying from Telstra and not have the NBNCo
> run it.
The deal between NBN Co and Telstra is commonly misunderstood.  NBN Co
is not buying "the network" from Telstra; the agreement is that Telstra
will migrate customers to the NBN in return for a payment; Telstra will
also decommission the copper to NBN-served customer premises. There's
other stuff in the deal as well - access to pits and ducts, access to
backhaul fibre etc - but the customer migration is the biggest item.

The reason I make this distinction is that NBN Co will not buy the
copper network from Telstra, and will therefore not run the copper network.

RC