[LINK] Europe to get new broadband satellite(s)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:21:40 AEDT 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at janwhitaker.com> wrote:
> At 09:00 AM 28/11/2010, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>>The transponders have only oh-so-many bandwidth. Once you max out the
>>available transponders, you´re out of luck, you have to lift another
>>satellite. Not to mention maintenance costs of keeping the satellite
>>in orbit and in position (systems monitoring, orbit adjustments, etc).
>
> I wonder if there is a truth in advertising
> aspect to this alternative provision in the NBN
> Co.'s communication to the public.

Don´t get me wrong: you can´t beat satellite if you want to have
internet access in the middle-of-nowhere.

Aka, get near Tora-Bora -or Stonehenge for that matter-, aim your dish
to the sky and ¡bingo! you have an internet connection.

So for rural access far away from civilization, there´s some use of satellite.

Of course, the military make the most use out of satellites...
http://government.hughes.com/platforms-and-technologies/bgan-inmarsat

But if you´re in a rural area near a town, there´s some other choices
that make more sense like CDMA450 which can provide the "last mile"
(or actually, up to 20-miles (32-km)) from the nearest town, where it
can hook up to fiber. or Fibre. :)

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/wbt/subs/sub028.pdf

But hey, I shouldn´t be getting into this thread, I´m at the other
side of the planet. :)

FC