[LINK] U.S. Government Seizes 75+ Domains

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Nov 28 11:28:50 AEDT 2010

At 10:47 AM 28/11/2010, Kim Holburn wrote:

>covered on Slashdot:
>http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/11/27/1910232/DHS-Seizes-75-Domain-Names
>

> > "My domain has been seized without any previous complaint or
> notice from any court!" the exasperated owner of Torrent-Finder
> told TorrentFreak this morning.
> >
> > "I firstly had DNS downtime. While I was contacting GoDaddy I
> noticed the DNS had changed. Godaddy had no idea what was going on
> and until now they do not understand the situation and they say it
> was totally from ICANN," he explained.
>
>Torrent-Finder was an Egyptian site.

Sounds like that new law I raised on Link this week, whereby sites
that have the sole purposes of helping piracy can and will be shut
down - COICA.
Just because it's happened, doesn't mean it will stick. However, you
gotta wonder if the people running these sites have the financial
ability to take on the US govt customs office. It's also going to be
a can of worms as to jurisdiction. If the site is in Egypt, why are
they required to comply with US law? It may be nasty, but there are
deeper legal issues here, like sovereignty. The offending sites will
probably just move to other TLDs by country instead of relying on
.com. That Egyptian site also has .info, according to the torrentfreak story.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/