[LINK] Tasmanians to be forced to connect to NBN under new laws

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Oct 8 06:42:19 AEDT 2010

  What they're thinking is this.

1. If the NBN enabling legislation had passed, there would be no need
for this, because the upgrade would be covered under federal law.

2. If Telstra had to replace the copper on anyone's property, it has the
right to do so via the normal infrastructure easements. Ditto
electricity infrastructre, ditto gas, ditto water. Etc. When Telstra
(under the NBN MOU) removes the copper, what did you expect?

3. What will Tasmanians be "forced" to buy? Nothing at all.

Taking (2) as an immediate example. A sewer main crosses my backyard at
a depth of about 2 metres. When the original concrete pipes, about 100
years old, became degraded, Sydney Water "forced" me to accept the new
one. They also did all necessary make-good work when they'd finished.

Since this power has existed practically forever, I suppose we must all
have been living in Nazi Germany longer than we thought.

RC