[LINK] RFI: Hotmail, Flickr, Google Docs

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Oct 8 17:40:44 AEDT 2010

I'm working on a paper for the Bled eConference next June.

Its purpose is to evaluate the quality of outsourced consumer services.

I've picked three categories and one provider of each:
-    Webmail                        -  Hotmail (Microsoft)
-    picture galleries              -  Flickr  (Yahoo!)
-    document prep and maintenance  -  Docs    (Google)

I've extracted the Terms of Service of each of them, so that I can
check how they stack up against the needs of consumers.

But the descriptions of the infrastructure and business processes are
very sparse.  I need to have more depth of understanding about how
they work, e.g. backup and recovery, formats supported,
version-management, etc.

I've found a few things on the net so far, but not a lot.

I'd appreciate pointers to in-depth descriptions of the three
services, i.e. not so much the functionality visible to the end-user,
but rather the plumbing.

The emergent draft is here:

                 The Cloudy Future of Consumer Computing
            Are Outsourced Consumer Applications Risk-Managed?
                 http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/CCC.html

Constructively negative feedback on *any* aspect is very welcome, natch.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916