[LINK] NBN: That cost-benefit analysis

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:16:04 AEDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM, David Boxall
<david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au> wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 2:22 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> http://economics.com.au/?p=6089
>>
>>> I thought it was time to pick up a theme on the National Broadband
>>> Network that has been going around for sometime; the lack of a clear
>>> cost-benefit analysis.
> Reports by McKinsey, KPMG and Access Economics comprehensively establish
> the business case. That’s more than enough.

Samuel rejects calls for NBN cost-benefit analysis
Published 9:10 AM, 13 Oct 2010 Last update 9:13 AM, 13 Oct 2010
QUICK SUMMARY | FULL STORY | KGB TV | NBN

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) chairman
Graeme Samuel has rejected calls for a cost-benefit analysis of the
"visionary" national broadband network.

Speaking to Business Spectator's Alan Kohler, Stephen Bartholomeusz
and Robert Gottliebsen, Mr Samuel said the technology's benefits over
the decades to come cannot be measured.

The comments follow Shadow Broadband Minister Malcolm Turnbull's
statement that it was "simply reckless and irresponsible" for the
federal government to spend $43 billion on the NBN without performing
a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis.

Failure to do so showed the government was scared of what such an
analysis would reveal, Mr Turnbull told a business banking forum
earlier this week.

But Australia has long invested in less densely populated areas
without complaint, Mr Samuel said.

[...]