[LINK] US, Canada have priciest cell phone plans in the world

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Oct 19 10:02:45 AEDT 2010

At 04:58 AM 19/10/2010, Scott Howard you wrote:
>In general, this isn't true.  Most smartphone data plans start at around
>US$30, and although there are occasionally ways around this (eg, claiming
>you don't have a smartphone even through you do). Some of the
>smaller/prepaid providers are starting to offer "web" included in their
>unlimited plans, but the major providers are not doing this.

I had a 30 day prepaid in the US for $30 which included 1000 minutes,
1000 messages and some sort of data as well. It was CDMA, no SIM, so
I couldn't bring it back to use here. That plan also didn't allow any
international, including text messages. These are somewhat new and
sold through Walmart as a national anonymous phone. No personal info
required. There is a $45/mo plan that is unlimited on all three
channels. I didn't come close to using the full minutes on the $30
option, but might if I were only using that as my comms there.

This is touted as the cheapest per minute program in the States,
$.03/min. And since it's based on time, no flagfall charge. I would
buy this program if available here as a replacement for all phone
needs (if I didn't have ADSL for net).

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com