[LINK] Numbering/identification systems

Max Devlin lucifer.au at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:36:47 AEDT 2010

On 28 October 2010 09:15, Bernard Robertson-Dunn <brd at iimetro.com.au> wrote:
> The problem, as I see it:
>
> At different times, I can use multiple devices, at multiple locations.

Yes, although one could be used as an identifier.

> Over time, a device can be used by multiple people.

Yes. Although in practicality mobiles/skype are usualy answered by the
owner of the number. Its 100pc in case of calls I make and know about.

I know its not perfect, but the wrinkles could be ironed out over time.

> Any numbering scheme that is device based does not solve the problem
> that the end point is me (or a role or an enterprise), not the device.

I dont see that as a problem, rather a civil liberties plus.

> Like solving any problem, any solution (especially simplistic solutions)
> is likely to cause new problems. Which is why it needs a lot of thought
> - something that often doesn't happen with big problems/solutions.

I agree that they shouldnt rush. Same with fibre. No time is being
allocation to solve the side effect problems. That could just end up
being win-lose.

]----