[LINK] Numbering/identification systems

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Oct 28 15:18:05 AEDT 2010

At 14:16 +1100 28/10/10, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>The device could be in a public place, or at a corporate location, etc.
>The person needs to be  decoupled from the device - just like an
>internet address is decoupled from a physical location. The question
>would appear to be - who owns the information that links the person to a
>device at a particular moment in time.
>
>The side issues of potential solutions then fall very much into the
>domain of privacy and risk.

Cue to DDNS to rise again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDNS

Notionally, we need more than A and MX records in a DNS (and we need
TTLs of zero, and we need a whole lot of scalability if we deny
caching, etc., etc. - but that's what I mean by notionally!).

So:
-   bernardrd{-nnn}.id has a DNS entry
     (nnn to ensure uniquenesss across the address-space)
-   a V record stores the current IP-address for Voice with Bernard,
     plus optional data such as an IP-address for voice-messages,
     a presently-unavailable indicator, a next-time available entry, etc.
-   a VV record stores ditto for Voice-and-Video
-   an MT record stores the current IP-address for SMS and asynch-IM msgs
-   all three records have a default TTL of zero
-   all three records can be securely real-time-updated by Bernard and
     his agents (authenticated, somehow)

-   the privacy protection is that there is no pre-authentication of
     the identity of the owner of <string>{-nnn}.id domains.  Anyone can
     register a bernardrd{-nnn}.id domain, without demonstrating anything
-   the id TLD is loudly declared to comprise unauthenticated identities
-   each identity in the id domain must earn trust through its behaviour,
     reputation and referred trust (just like the real world)

Okay, so I should go and read a couple of decades of the history of
DDNS, right?!  (Anyone know of a good summary of design challenges?).

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916