[LINK] O/t responsible consumers

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Sep 6 11:08:15 AEST 2010

Gordon Keith wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 10:23:54 pm Scott Howard wrote:
>> That said, there are certainly parts of the US that have an
>>  over-fascination with trucks and/or large SUVs.
>
> I remember hearing somewhere, don't remember the source or how reliable it is,
> that in the US a light truck is considered a commercial vehicle and as such
> attracts tax concessions that are not available for passenger vehichles
> (cars).
>
> So a company that supplies employees with light trucks is engaging in a tax
> deductible business expense, while a company that supplies employees with
> passenger vehicles has the same expense without the tax deduction.
>
> If anyone knows if this is correct, please indicate.

Not sure about the US but here in Australia... I have heard
4WDs have proliferated because of some tax loophole and tax
payers certainly subsidise petrol consumption (greenhouse
gas emissions)
> Rates per business kilometre
> 1600cc (1.6 litre)
> or less
> 63 cents
> 2601cc (2.601 litre) and over
> 75 cents
<http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/33874.htm>

then there is
<http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.asp?doc=/content/76140.htm&page=5&H5>

> Fringe benefits tax - exempt car benefits
<http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/00167339.htm&page=11&H11>

and

<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/otherinformation/weighttax2010.html>

<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/statistics/index.html>

<http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=150>

<http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=188>

 > The role of alcohol in injuries presenting to St
Vincent’s Hospital Emergency Department and the associated
short-term costs
<http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_mr_ab06>

Marghanita
--