[LINK] Benefits of a digital economy enabled by the National Broadband Network

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Sep 20 08:06:30 AEST 2010

On 19/09/2010, at 7:25 PM, George Bray wrote:
> I remember a story years back on using videoconferencing to support
> cattle auctions, so potential buyers didn't have to turn up for the
> sale.

More that that. The livestock doesn't need to turn up either. There was a story about this in Lateline [?] a few weeks back. The farmer can link in live video of the livestock, bidders can view and ask questions and bid and buy -- all without the livestock having to be moved. The trucks are only called in once the destination is known so the livestock moves once, from farm to abattoirs, rather than via holding yards. Less carbon, less stress on animals which means better-tasting meat.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia