[LINK] History and the NBN

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Sep 26 10:40:50 AEST 2010

Thanks  for the responses, both on and off list.

On 25/09/2010 12:39 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>    Well, by the time Senator Richard Alston made his famous "gambling and
> porn" remark:
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/insidebusiness/content/2002/s658096.htm
>
> ...Whirlpool noted that there was already an ALP proposal to respond to
> the lack of broadband by getting cable to all homes (noted here,
> unfortunately can't find the story on the Oz it refers to):
>
> http://whirlpool.net.au/news/?id=956&show=replies
>
> So: in 2002 the ALP was already fretting about a lack of broadband in
> Australia...
>
> RC
>
> On 25/09/10 12:00 PM, David Boxall wrote:
>> Greetings Linkers,
>>
>> With all the politics around the NBN, I've become a bit confused. In an
>> attempt to regain some perspective, I've been looking into events
>> leading up to our current position.
I can't believe I'd forgotten Senator Dick. Actually, considering how
much effort I put into doing just that, it isn't surprising. ;)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/03/28/this_man_must/>
"The man you see pictured above may be the greatest luddite the world
has ever seen, which is particularly ironic because he happens the be
the minister for Communications, Information Technology and The Arts for
the Australian government."
And now we have Conroy, who shares the Senator's need to control what
information we can access.

I'm now back as far as the "Networking Australia's Future" report of
1994:
<http://www.archive.dcita.gov.au/2007/12/further_information/networking_australias_future_-_table_of_contents>.
Wasn't there an episode of "Yes Minister", in which Sir Humphrey advised
the minister to begin talks into setting up a working party to consider
the establishment of a committee which would produce a report which
could then be ignored?

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,