[LINK] US Gov: making a panic button app

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Apr 1 09:02:25 AEDT 2011

On 2011/Apr/01, at 8:24 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> At 7:57 +1100 1/4/11, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> http://blogs.computerworld.com/18059/u_s_govt_to_thank_for_panic_button_app_to_wipe_phones
>>> U.S. Gov't to thank for panic button app to wipe phones
>
> To resort to that fallback of security consultants, whether this idea
> is good or barmy 'depends on your threat model'.
>
> Scenario A:
> If the threat you're trying to cope with is use of the contents of
> the phone by the person who kidnaps you (and your phone), then it has
> some surface validity.  But in most cases such kidnappings happen
> unexpectedly, and hence there's no time to manually invoke the app.
>
> Scenario B:
> If the threat is the government, they already have access to all of
> the communications-related data that's flowed through the device -
> and hence can reconstruct most and maybe all of the address-book -
> either through taps, or retention, or Google's archives.  (And that's
> probably why they came to arrest you in the first place).

In some US states and probably other places like Australia? UK? police can search your phone without a warrant, but to access all those other things and reconstruct what your phone might have had would take warrants and resources and time.

> The benefits under scenario A are slim, and under B non-existent.
>
> Scenario C:
> The app creates a new vulnerability.  It won't take long for the
> first piece of malware to be delivered that enables remote invocation
> of the app.

Not to mention a slip of the finger.  "Dad, what does this button do?"