[LINK] Atlas of Living Australia

Steven Clark steven.clark at internode.on.net
Sat Apr 9 12:21:43 AEST 2011

On 09/04/11 07:05, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Giving the difficulty of the project, I think it's pretty wonderful.
> Even making the attempt is just brilliant!
>
> My wife and I have some holiday cottages in the Blue Mountains -
> http://www.bunjareecottages.com.au/ - and we've been troubled with
> antechinus invasions.
invasions?

>  Well, I don't mind so much, Brit and Aussie guests
> have no trouble, but some cultures believe they are mice no matter what
> you tell them ...
that may also be a consequence of language: some languages (or perhaps
dialects?) have only one word for 'small furry mouse-like mammal', so
any translation will always end up with the equivalent of 'mouse' - with
all the connotations that go with it.

> What I didn't know until I looked here was that there isn't one, but
> four, local species of antechinus. So when I do my regular
> trap-and-release run this weekend ahead of the school holidays, I'm
> going to have to take pictures and try to identify them!
pay attention to ears, teeth, and snouts. fur colouring may not be
useful as a distinguishing feature :)

--
Steven