[LINK] NBN retail cost and 12 year technology bell curve

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Apr 12 09:26:53 AEST 2011

On 11/04/2011 4:16 PM, I wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 8:56 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>> Recapping: the Sony in the loungeroom is 78W, ...
> What is the aspect ratio of your CRT? If it isn't 16:9, then any area
> not used for display (assuming widescreen content) will have an impact
> on power consumption per unit of viewable area.
>> *Note that low-cost devices come from manufacturers with a history of
>> inaccurate power ratings....
> Would it be healthy to assume that, in the absence of evidence? I've
> seen nothing to indicate that Aldi's history is anything but good on
> that front.

I've had an opportunity to examine a neighbour's large-screen CRT. It's
an older unit, bought at a time before LCDs were available at that size;
similar sized plasmas cost as much as the GNP of a fair-sized nation at
the time.

According to the owner, it's so heavy that four men were needed to get
it into position. Getting at the back to read the compliance plate is
out of the question. According to the owner's manual, it consumes more
than 200 watts.

Though nominally a 32 inch screen, a tape measure shows a viewable
diagonal of less than 30 inches. The aspect ratio is 4:3; a letterboxed
widescreen display measures just under 26 inches diagonally.

Comparing like with like between different technologies on the basis of
viewable area isn't easy.

--
David Boxall                    |  Drink no longer water,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  for thy stomach's sake ...