[LINK] Four Corners NBN

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 12 09:57:52 AEST 2011

At 12:53 AM 12/04/2011, Frank O'Connor wrote:

>But it was a reasonably good relatively unbiased coverage of the issues.
>
>Definitely worth a watch on iView if you missed it.

I agree, Frank. In fact if Linkers have anyone who has questions
about this project, iView is a great place to point them. All the
vested interests had their say. The examples were good, from small
business to education to in the home health support, complete with
comparisons of today's inability to cope and the potential good that
could happen. Steven Long and his producers did a good job.

The one thing missing was the fact that all this is based on loans,
NOT taxes or taxpayer money. The problem with a country that has lost
the knowledge about bonds as funding sources is that every bit of
government handled money is considered a tax, when it's not. Bonds
are great things when used for capital projects. And they get paid
back. In the case of NBN, there will be an income stream to do so,
unlike many bonds for schools and roads. This should be a no-brainer.
Maybe Four Corners should do a program on what government bonds are for.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/