[LINK] Business fetishism (was Re: LINK] Four Corners NBN)

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Apr 13 09:42:19 AEST 2011

[snip]
> The business just needs one fibre link, not one to every home in the
> bush. Similarly, for educational applications, the schools need the links.
>
> Businesses and teachers need to understand this is not all one way
> traffic: businesses in the city (and around the world) will be able to
> offer services and compete for jobs in the bush. In the case of
> education, the local staff may become essentially child minders and
> equipment maintainers, while the teaching is located remotely, in the
> city or another country.
Tom & others,

In my opinion, we need to ditch "business fetishism" from the NBN debate.

"Broadband is for business" is a characteristic of the less-developed
nation. In any country in which there are (for example) more business
broadband customers than consumer customers, the other characteristics
of that country will be (a) poor infrastructure, and (b) restricted
growth in telecomms and services.

In highly-developed broadband markets, consumers outnumber businesses -
usually by about 10:1 - both in subscribers and revenue. The real
breakthroughs, in market sustainability, scale, application diversity
etc, come from pervasive networks that connect everybody.

The statement that "this is good for business, but consumers don't need
it" is third-world thinking.

I can't predict what the "killer app" might be, any more than an
alderman or mayor of the 1920s would predict that electricity would
power DVD players. I can, however, believe that those who say "it won't
be in the consumer market", are wrong. (Likewise, those who dismiss the
NBN as "high speed entertainment" are missing the point: entertainment
might look frivolous if you look at the content, but it's also serious
money that is most valuable when it's most broadly available.)

Finally, regarding apps of the future. E-learning and tele-health are
already passe in terms of the NBN debate. We focus on them because
they're things we're already familiar with - we can visualise what they
do. But nearly all of the "great killer Internet applications" are not
top-down, but bottom-up. Here's a short list of applications I nominate
as "user led" that changed the world and the network:

SMTP
VoIP (invented by John Walker because he wanted on-network calls from
Europe to the US)
HTML (Tim Berners-Lee)
Skype
Google
BitTorrent

I realise that I'm ignoring counter-examples, but I would expect that
any competent study would find successful, pervasive user-led
innovations outnumber business-led innovations on the Internet.

RC