[LINK] Four Corners NBN

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Apr 13 10:03:09 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 10:17 AM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> Power outages weren't due to cables coming down - more
>> likely to exceeding generation capacity.
> Do you have evidence to support that assertion?
>
> Where I am, storms are usually blamed. Trees on lines and lightning
> strikes on lines and substations are most common. Traffic accidents
> involving power poles appear to be next most common, followed by
> equipment coming into contact with overhead lines. Or so the newspapers
> report.
>
>  From memory, it's been more than two decades since we had capacity
> problems. That was distribution, not generation capacity (if I recall
> correctly).

Look, I don't doubt that if a cable is cut above or below
ground then you will loose supply of electricity
(fortunately, with battery backup, your telecoms could still
be working).

And a few years ago, the need for underground cabling, in
some parts of Sydney, made the media a lot, I am not sure
whether cables were moved underground or not but I haven't
heard this recently.

Yes, distribution/generation is part of the issue - but not
the cable to people's homes....

Power slowly returning to Sydney
March 30, 2009
<http://www.smh.com.au/national/power-slowly-returning-to-sydney-20090330-9guk.html>

Here is info about Smart Grid project
EnergyAustralia bags $93m smart grid contract
     * October 08, 2010 4:55PM
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/government/energyaustralia-bags-93m-smart-grid-contract/story-fn4htb9o-1225936102584>

Marghanita
--