[LINK] Wi-Fi

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:24:59 AEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:
> Here's a different view on what this should teach us:
> http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20110425/11220014028/swat-team-raids-home-because-guy-had-open-wireless-router.shtml

This news is sweet revenge for an anti-WiFi guy like me. I´ve been
telling this for years to the privacy zealots who seem to think
internet is -or "should be"- anonymous.  "Your IP address is your
identity on-line, if someone hacks NASA using your unlocked wireless
AP they´ll come and bring down your door" but they looked at me like I
was crazy, or that that notion was a truly outrageous proposition.

Even if you enable WPA, it doesn´t prevent someone determined from
hacking into your home router. Basically with Wi-Fi you´re opening up
a big security hole -or potential for one-, coming from anyone around
you up to a block arund. (I receive signal from 30 to 45 APs from
around my 13th floor apartment).

I wonder: Why is cabling with cat5e ethernet so difficult for
everyone? you´re building "infrastructure" for your home, like power
outlets... I have 5 ports per room, so wherever I´m sitting I have an
ethernet port less than 2m away.

So, without Wi-Fi I´m 100% sure that *I and only I* am responsible for
the content going back and forth from my IP address, unless, of
course, someone drills a hole on my walls and patches himself into my
cat5e backbone, which still seems more unlikely thank someone hacking
wi-fi due to some known or to-be-known wi-fi vulnerability..

FC