[LINK] Wi-Fi

Ash Nallawalla ash at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 26 16:28:00 AEST 2011

Proper Ethernet cabling between rooms can be cost-prohibitive for most people unless it was cabled during construction -- $150 to $300 per outlet or more. Some people live in old houses that are difficult to cable. Others live in rented premises.  I'd be surprised if anyone on this mailing list in Australia lives in a multi-storey apartment.

Ethernet over power lines has a security risk where other apartments or homes are on the same phase as your house. Many people will just plug them in without checking about encryption.