[LINK] RFI: Cross-Media Publishing under Linux/OO

Paul Bolger pbolger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:32:23 AEST 2011

I'm interested in reading more about your gripes with Apple as I'm
wondering whether to head that direction next time I buy a machine. I
must admit that Final Cut Pro has a lot to do with that though -
there is really nothing on Linux that equals it, and the win
alternative is Avid, which appears to be becoming a dinosaur. I
suspect if I did go Mac I would probably be dual booting with Ubuntu
though.

Regarding your docs problem: have you looked at Lyx? It's a wysiwyg
LaTEX editor which produces rather nice looking PDFs or which can also
produce html. It can also produce Docbook, and has internal support
for Subversion. It's designed to be used for academic and scientific
writing. The only real drawback is that the templating learning curve
is steep.