[LINK] RFI: Cross-Media Publishing under Linux/OO

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 9 08:40:56 AEST 2011

On 08/08/11 13:28, Roger Clarke wrote:

> 1.  Avoid 'dual booting', because only one OS is alive at a time ...

If you just need to use a program which runs under just one operating
system occasionally, then dual booting makes sense. I copedworked for a
year or so with Linux and Ms-Windows dual boot. If the audience I
presenting to had suits on then I booted Ms-Windows, if they had
t-shirts I booted Linux. ;-)

> 5.  So there seem to be two possibilities ...
> -   run Linux ...

You might find that the Windows applications will run using Wine on
Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29

But I decided this was all too difficult and now just use Linux. The
only application I could not get for that was accounting software. My
accountant couldn't recommend any Linux accounting software, so I use
the web based SAASU:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2009/08/web-based-accounting-package.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/
Visiting Scientist, CSIRO ICT Centre: http://bit.ly/csiro_ict_canberra