[LINK] Affordable Internet in Australia for low-income families ? Never happen...

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Aug 11 14:15:57 AEST 2011

On 11/08/2011 10:07 AM, Tom Koltai wrote:
[Heaps]

You're assuming enough discretionary income to buy a computer. Believe
me, some people have barely enough to survive. Certainly not enough for
comparative luxuries.

Yes, access could be considered a necessity these days. Is access from
the home enough of a necessity to give up (say) food? That's what you
seem to be suggesting.

There will always be those who cannot afford some goods or services, no
matter what the price. To present that as an indication that those
things are "unaffordable" is nonsense.

As Martin said:
On 10/08/2011 4:15 PM, Martin Barry wrote:
 > ... That's why public pay phones and public libraries with free
 > computer use and Internet access are still relevant and so important.

The fact that we on this list are comfortable enough to indulge
ourselves doesn't mean everybody can. We wilfully maintain ignorance of
other peoples' circumstances at our peril. The English are (re)learning
that right now.

--
David Boxall                         | ignorance more frequently
http://david.boxall.id.au            | knowledge