[LINK] NYT: Hacktivism re BART Cellphone Suspension

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Aug 21 09:10:22 AEST 2011

After Cellphone Action, BART Faces Escalating Protests
By ZUSHA ELINSON
August 20, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/us/21bcbart.html

Early last month, a BART police officer shot and killed a
knife-wielding homeless man at the San Francisco Civic Center
station. The incident provoked a series of small protests that drew
little attention until Aug. 11, when the transit agency took the
unusual step of shutting down cellphone service for several hours as
activists prepared for another rally.

With that flip of a switch, BART has come under siege - in cyberspace
and underground.

According to officials, BART's technology personnel have been working
round the clock to fend off a disparate group of hackers who
penetrated the agency's Web sites last week and released sensitive
information, in retaliation for the shutdown of the cellphone and
wireless services.

The Federal Communications Commission is investigating the decision
to shut down the services, and the American Civil Liberties Union is
considering a lawsuit against BART on the ground of First Amendment
violations.

The protests, while still small, appear to have grown in number and
potency. Using the Twitter hashtag #MuBARTek, a wry reference to
Hosni Mubarak's efforts to shut down communications before he was
toppled as president of Egypt, activists organized a new round of
protests that forced BART to shut down four stations during rush hour
last Monday.

Another rally is planned for this Monday. Protesters threatened that
more would follow "until BART decides to back away from their policy
of cellphone censorship," according to one message from a person with
the Twitter handle @OpBART.

Some BART board members, like Lynette Sweet, have criticized the
decision to shut down cellphone service. "Rather than thwart
protesters," Ms. Sweet said, "we've invited in a whole new arena of
people that we have to deal with now. It's like relighting a fire
that was already out."

The episode has been a sobering lesson in how even an agency that
carries some 350,000 passengers over 104 miles of track every workday
can be brought low by a seemingly ragtag group of activists who
identify themselves by pseudonyms like Lamaline_5mg.

According to David Wagner, a computer science professor at the
University of California, Berkeley, the hackers were relatively
unsophisticated and most resembled "bored rebellious teenagers."

BART officials have labeled the protesters "cyberterrorists" and said
the agency's actions were necessary to preserve safety in an
environment of fast-moving trains and electrified rails.

"You have the ability to limit people's free speech when public
safety is at risk," said the BART board president, Bob Franklin, who
announced Thursday that the board would hold discussions this week on
its policy for shutting off cellular communications.

But Jean Hamilton, president of a union that represents 200 BART
employees, said the agency's leadership had mishandled the crisis.
"We feel under fire, and we feel everything we've done to promote
transit is in the toilet," Ms. Hamilton said. "All people are talking
about is freedom of speech and will the trains be stopped again
tonight."

The crisis began July 3 with a report to police dispatchers that a
man in a tie-dyed T-shirt was walking the platform of the Civic
Center station with an open bottle of alcohol. BART says the man,
Charles Hill, approached officers with a four-inch-long knife and was
preparing to throw it when an officer shot and killed him. The
shooting is under investigation.

The incident caught the attention of the group No Justice No BART,
which formed in response to the 2009 shooting of an unarmed man,
Oscar Grant III, on the platform of the Fruitvale station in Oakland.
The group has about 500 fans on Facebook. Its leader, a research
scientist who calls himself Krystof, has clashed repeatedly with the
BART board.

"He's shown up at our meetings - he's very cynical about BART," Mr.
Franklin said. "He wants to disband the BART police, and he's very
media savvy."

Krystof countered in an interview that "BART has been really insular
- they're not used to outside scrutiny."

As the group planned for a protest on Aug. 11, BART's spokesman,
Linton Johnson, fearing that the rally would snarl the evening
commute, proposed cutting off cellphone and wireless service, which
the agency controls underground. The idea was endorsed by BART police
and authorized by BART's interim general manager, Sherwood Wakeman, a
lawyer.

The protest never materialized, but the action provoked outrage. The
next day, Mr. Johnson was dismissive of complaints.

"It is an amenity," he said. "We survived for years without cellphone
service," he continued, but now people are "complaining that we
turned it off for three hours?"

Mr. Johnson said BART approved the shutdown only after Mr. Wakeman
determined that the action was legal under Brandenburg v. Ohio, a
Supreme Court decision that lets the government punish speech that
incites unlawful activity. Civil liberties advocates disagreed with
that determination.

Ms. Sweet, the board member, said the decision "was something that
they concocted pretty haphazardly."

Last Sunday, hackers struck a BART marketing Web site, MyBART.org,
making public more than 2,000 passenger e-mails and passwords. The
hackers identified themselves as part of Anonymous, an amorphous
cyberprotest movement. In July, the F.B.I. arrested 14 people,
including two from the Bay Area, for an Anonymous attack on PayPal.

Anonymous announced on a Web site where the information was posted
that it had attacked BART "to show that the people will not allow you
to kill us and censor us." It posted the group's banner, a mask of
Guy Fawkes, the Englishman who tried to blow up the House of Lords in
1605.

On Wednesday, BART was hacked again. After penetrating the BART
Police Officers Association Web site, hackers posted personal
information for 102 officers, including home addresses.

In a transcript of a private chat posted online, a person who
identified herself with the alias Lamaline_5mg took credit for the
attack, saying that she was annoyed "about what bart did" and that it
was her first hacking.

An online argument ensued about whether, in fact, she was part of
Anonymous. "Please refrain from dropping anybody's private
information anywhere on anonymous's behalf," one poster wrote.

Lamaline 5mg responded that the lax security that had allowed her to
penetrate the Web site was "not my fault."

The F.B.I. is investigating both hackings.

Mr. Wagner, the computer science professor, said BART could continue
to face problems now that it appeared to have a bull's-eye on its
back. BART's passengers also may continue suffering as the battle
goes on. Brian Payton, of Oakland, has been delayed twice by protests
on his way home from work in downtown San Francisco. Standing with a
crowd waiting for the Montgomery Street BART station to open on
Monday, Mr. Payton said it was wearing on him even though he
sympathized with the protesters' cause.

"I do believe police brutality is wrong," he said, "but there has to
be another way to express themselves because all they're doing is
hurting people who had nothing to do with it."

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916