[LINK] Stand up, ACCC

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Wed Aug 31 17:30:10 AEST 2011

$quoted_author = "Roger Clarke" ;

> Funnily enough, my reaction was that it's the first time in my life
> I've ever seen anything from Ergas that I felt some affinity with.

It was easy to agree with the sentiment and yet still be disappointed in the
methodology. Invalid comparisons, incorrect assertions and overuse of
hyperbole leave a bad after-taste.

> I'm not convinced NBNCo *is* on the consumer-rape-and-pillage mission
> that Ergas suggests;  but a warning shot across their bows, and
> encouragement to ACCC to have some ticker, are both 'good things' in
> my book.

Is anyone doubting that the ACCC, at least in it's current form, lacks said
ticker?

My understanding is that a lot of what NBNco does in relation to services
and pricing has to be pre-approved by the ACCC.

Certainly their track record in trying to keep Telstra in line shows that
the ACCC knows what it's doing even if it's lawyers have to fight tooth and
nail to see that translated into reality.

cheers
Marty