[LINK] Stand up, ACCC

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Aug 31 17:47:04 AEST 2011

On 2011/Aug/31, at 5:30 PM, Martin Barry wrote:

> $quoted_author = "Roger Clarke" ;
>>
>> Funnily enough, my reaction was that it's the first time in my life
>> I've ever seen anything from Ergas that I felt some affinity with.
>
> It was easy to agree with the sentiment and yet still be disappointed in the
> methodology. Invalid comparisons, incorrect assertions and overuse of
> hyperbole leave a bad after-taste.
>

>> I'm not convinced NBNCo *is* on the consumer-rape-and-pillage mission
>> that Ergas suggests;  but a warning shot across their bows, and
>> encouragement to ACCC to have some ticker, are both 'good things' in
>> my book.
>
> Is anyone doubting that the ACCC, at least in it's current form, lacks said
> ticker?
>
> My understanding is that a lot of what NBNco does in relation to services
> and pricing has to be pre-approved by the ACCC.
>
> Certainly their track record in trying to keep Telstra in line shows that
> the ACCC knows what it's doing even if it's lawyers have to fight tooth and
> nail to see that translated into reality.

And the Murdoch press's track record around the world is to take a political stance and bully anyone who doesn't agree with them.  If it's an issue which relates to competition with their business model (foxtel) same goes double.

I wonder if they have sicked private investigators onto the NBN staff or paid police to get information on them.  I wouldn't be surprised.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

Sent from my steam driven difference engine