[LINK] PATRIOT Act Gives Foreigners Good Reason to Avoid US Clouds

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Dec 3 16:32:26 AEDT 2011

Ahh, an excellent driver for Australian versions of Cryptonomicon. Minus
the Gold of course.

Then again, a country that has just goven safe haven to 2500 "advisors"
may have a little difficulty convincing the target country (or their
trading partners,) of any such "intended advice" that Australian clouds
will be safer.

I think ACTA pretty much nullified any commercial advantage that we did
have.

For example, in Oz today today to file a provisional patent online, one
needs the:

Quote/ [From:
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/get-the-right-ip/patents/apply-for-a-paten
t/]

How to file a specification
The Best Practice Guide for Filing a specification PDF [  pdf 718KB]
should be followed to ensure that your specification complies with the
requirements of Schedule 3 of the Australian Patent Regulations,
requirements under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and
recommendations provided by WIPO standard ST.22.

PCT online service
A PCT online service is also available. This facility allows customers
to submit international patent applications generated by the World
Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) PCT-SAFE software package.
For further details please refer to our PCT online fact sheet and user
guide.

Please note that in order to use the new PCT online service you will
need to obtain the latest version of WIPO's PCT-SAFE software and a
digital certificate, which are available free of charge from the WIPO
website.

Therefore if even our provisional patents are going offshore...

Do we as a country, really have any commercial advantage left ?
The article was correct, the claims about US snooping by US offshore
cloud suppliers are irrelevant, unless located in unfriendly regimes in
which case, that would make one a "Person of Interest" N'est ce pas?

(Incidentally an excellent show, [Person of Interest] Not for the plot,
but for the detailed Polar Rose, Carrier IQ, Phoenix Server background
plot tracking details.)

TomK

http://www.wired.com/cloudline/2011/12/us-cloud/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/69366_Page3.html