[LINK] (Real) Robot Warfare

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 5 17:22:20 AEDT 2011

To my mind, the ethical implications of robots (or more intelligent weapons systems) are pretty much the same as the ethical implications of using any remote weapons delivery system.

Same as for ...

- Bombing from a great height (been done for the last 100 years or so - with untold millions of deaths and injuries)
- Launching an air to ground missile or otherwise powered ordinance from a plane (for the last 60 years or so - with millions in casualties)
- Launching an intercontinental ballistic missile (not yet done ... but the systems are there)

Bottom line: Once you release any highly destructive weapons systems toward a target, you should have already worked out the moral and ethical implications of it. You should have acted to limit 'collateral damage'. You should have safeguarded the interests of non-combatants.

Sadly (and they are probably right) those who conduct war maintain that morality often takes a back seat to expediency. Translation: You don't win wars whilst trying to fight them morally, especially if your opponent has no such qualms.

If human history has taught us anything, it's that fundamentally we are vicious unprincipled anthropoids juggling constantly and cunningly for advantage. Ethics is a comparatively recent invention that has yet to catch on. Especially in war. And I find the idea of a Moral War a contradiction in terms anyway.

						Regards,
---