[LINK] Esther Dyson on TLD Proliferation

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 15 10:29:11 AEDT 2011

On 14/12/11, David Goldstein  <wavey_one at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On the Names Policy Panel I would introduce examples of other ccTLDs and how .AU could be improved. Not once did anyone on the panel have examples of ccTLD policy failure that could be used as evidence against changes.--

I've never understood why you use that as a test to support 'change'? It's difficult to discuss unless you first define 'changes' and ' policy failure' which may have different interpretations to various stakeholders. I have had the benefit of those discussions with you but I'm not sure others here have. Changes that you may consider totally acceptable, and therefore not 'failure', I may consider a serious threat to domain name integrity and hence 'failure'. From my personal point of view I think your input received significant and useful examination. Making the above statement out of context doesn't do it justice given the amount of consideration and examination it received.

As for my statement regarding the membership of policy panels, I accept that might be inappropriate to express in this venue. I have a well known bias (although I prefer the word 'passion') for supporting non-profit models for some activities. Those interested can simply look for themselves at the make-up of those participating in auDA panels and of the auDA board to form their own opinion. auDA goes to great lengths to be transparent and they make a point of having all information easily accessible on their web site.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific
Australian National University