[LINK] Kafka at the National Archives

Ross Kelso kelso at internode.on.net
Fri Dec 16 11:20:24 AEDT 2011

Early this week I visited the National Archives in Melbourne; on a display shelf I spotted a number of publications they produced - some free, some for a charge.  One in particular I wished to buy: Keeping Family Treasures, for $24.95.  So I approached the lady at the enquiry counter and asked if I could purchase a copy.  "No", she replied, "You have to buy that online!"  "But", I spluttered, "you are displaying them on your shelf at the door and the marked price is $24.95 - surely I can buy one now?"  After a few repeats of the same charade, I begged her to ask someone higher!  She then phoned her boss (her words) who clearly had asked her how many hard copies there were as she went over to a cupboard and came back to the phone, telling the boss "Loads!".  So clearly this was the/a repository of the said items for sale to the public (and they clearly were not selling like hot cakes!).  "Can I buy one then?", I asked.  "That'll be $4.95 thank you", whereupon I handed over the cash and exited happily.

Christmas cheers to you all,

Ross Kelso

(PS: I later tracked down the book - quite a feat, as it is well hidden on their website:  http://shop.naa.gov.au/p/1049799/keeping-family-treasures.html  )