[LINK] So this is Christmas and Imagine all thosepeople.....Re: Australia, Second Class Citizens, according to EMI

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Dec 16 18:12:17 AEDT 2011

On 2011/Dec/16, at 10:52 AM, Tom Koltai wrote:

> [...]

Actually I think you mean no copyright law.

As I understand it Nigeria has no copyright law and a thriving movie ad music industry and lots of pirating/copying of stuff.  Which amazingly seems to encourage creators.

> So the difference between our points of view is not that dramatic, we
> are just haggling over the price.

As an economist you know that the problem with digital things on the internet is that if digital things (ie large numbers, because that is what a digital thing ultimately is) are different prices in different countries then people will arbitrage.

Rent-seeking digital distribution companies hate this possibility.  They can't stand the idea of someone else making a profit on their goods even if they make a profit also.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant