[LINK] Nollywood (was Re: So this is Christmas and Imagine ....)

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Dec 17 15:30:45 AEDT 2011

Thanks Kim, excellent update on articles from Unesco that I read a
couple of years ago.

I can't find the link, but there was no piracy in DVD's within Nigeria
to speak of because it was essentially uneconomic. i.e.: the value of a
single DVD was so close to its blank price that the average pirate
couldn't find sufficient margin within Nigeria which explains the
articles focus on "rest of Africa" distribution.

The knock on effect has to be the continuing growth and development of
the Nigerian Film Industry, (which from memory was further fragmented by
the number of dialects spoken within the country.) The Arbitrage
opportunity of Pirates exporting copies only serves to increase market
demand for Nigerian produced content.

What an interesting social experiment in the benefits of not having an
overly legislative protective environment.

Of course, our friendly industry associations and bodies will be able to
find underfed economists who will paint a picture of the reverse being
true.
Regrettably for the industry bodies, UNESCO is not dependent on their
members for electoral fund raising and therefore the truth will
eventually out. Even if it is buried under the gross public ignorance
that non-mainstream NGO's operational successes normally suffer from.

I guess Kim it's up to you and I to spread the meme... "Nollywood is a
success Because..."

My honest guess is that with the sheer weight of contnet production
numbers, aided by increasing emigration and the resulting expats desire
for a slice of home, we probably won't actually have to do anything. The
results should be self evident within less than a decade.
When Nigerian email scams stop arriving and Mercedes exports to Nigeria
exceed that of the USA, then I guess the world will wake to the reality
of content creation being driven by artistic and literal hunger and not
by fat cats lunching on rodeo drive.

Of course, that result will depend of course of the Nigerian Government
not being subborned [sold to Hollywwod] for thirty pieces of silver.

TomK