[LINK] New free MIT learning platform 'with a virtual community oflearners worldwide'

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 21 15:50:45 AEDT 2011

Tom writes,

> > M.I.T. Expands Its Free Online Courses (also certificates)
> > By TAMAR LEWIN www.NYTimes.com Published: December 19, 2011
> >
> > While students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology pay
> > thousands of dollars for courses, the university will announce a
> > new program on Monday allowing anyone anywhere to take M.I.T. courses
> > online free of charge - and for the first time earn official
> > certificates for demonstrating mastery of the subjects taught.
>
> Uncle Bill was right.
> Universities are about to go the way of libraries.

Well, in terms of education, it is certainly becoming obvious that our
Internet is now starting to live up to an egalitarian, "free education
worldwide" promise. Imagine this dear planet, where everyone, anywhere,
can easily & truly stand on the shoulders of our best science thinkers.

Our intellectual & social/humanitarian growth as a species will surely
be exponential. After all education is surely our best social-leveller?

Also there are signs, going forward, that the staple food of education,
university research findings, are starting on the same egalitarian path.

 "University implementing open-access policy for faculty publications"

Posted October 31, 2011; 01:41 p.m. by Ushma Patel
<www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S32/00/81M86/>

(Princeton) University administrators have begun implementing the
new "open-access" policy approved this fall by Princeton faculty members
to expand the public's access to their research ..

<http://www.princeton.edu/dof/policies/publ/fac/open-access-policy/>

The policy gives the University and faculty members rights to republish
scholarly articles, making it possible for individuals without journal
subscriptions to access them. Administrators in the Office of the Dean of
the Faculty, Office of the Provost and Princeton University Library are
providing guidance to faculty members prior to article submission; have
provided language for faculty to append to publishing contracts; and are
exploring plans to build a repository for these articles. Administrators
have also created an online form for faculty requesting waivers to the
policy in individual cases in which a journal's copyright contract
prevents republishing.

"The policy is intended to make the faculty's scholarly articles,
published in journals and conference proceedings, available to a wider
audience," Dean of the Faculty David Dobkin said.

The policy, approved by the faculty at their first meeting of the
academic year, Sept. 19, states that faculty members grant The Trustees
of Princeton University a "nonexclusive, irrevocable, worldwide license
to exercise any and all copyrights in his or her scholarly articles
published in any medium, whether now known or later invented, provided
the articles are not sold by the University for a profit, and to
authorize others to do the same."

The new policy protects faculty members from giving away all of their
publication rights when they publish refereed and conference articles in
a journal. Access to many journals is restricted by subscription,
institutional or organizational membership, or other factors.

Under the open-access policy, faculty members may publish their work on
University sites, personal websites and other not-for-fee venues. A
Princeton-based online repository would allow professors to post their
research in a convenient, central location, where the public may easily
access it, Dobkin said.

In fall 2010, Dobkin appointed an ad hoc faculty committee to study the
issue of open access to faculty publications. Led by Andrew Appel, the
Eugene Higgins Professor of Computer Science, the nine-member
interdisciplinary committee studied other universities' open-access
policies while formulating their recommendations. In March, the committee
unanimously approved recommending a policy change to assert the
University's right to make faculty articles available to the public.
Committee members also strongly recommended the creation of a voluntary
database created and maintained by the University to fully realize the
benefits of the policy change.

The open-access policy applies only to published articles, and does not
apply to books, fiction, poetry, music, film, lecture notes, case studies
or unpublished drafts. More information about the policy is available on
the Office of the Dean of the Faculty's website.

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server