[LINK] IPv6 vs. Human Security [Was Re: smartphone privacy problems]

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:42:37 AEDT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:

> At 23:37 +0000 31/1/11, Webb, KerryA wrote:
> >I believe that this is being expanded to passenger vehicles in NSW.
> >New camera gantries have been built along the Federal Highway.
>
> There are multiple gantries, but I've only heard of the expansion as
> being in relation to truck-driver safety.
>
> If anyone has any leads on it being also for passenger vehicles,
> please let me know.
Right here in the ACT to enforce all sorts of laws:
http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=9837

"The RAPID system now operates from three specially designed vehicles
and will also be used to identify vehicles owned by suspended or
unlicensed drivers, and vehicles associated with persons wanted on
warrant"

There are rumors that private properties such as shopping malls and
service stations have similar systems:
http://the-riotact.com/automatic-number-plate-regognition-coming-to-you/6904

> The police-state implications of such mass surveillance is discussed here:
> http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/ANPR-Surv.html#AMS

There is a new system under development to track the travel of a
vehicle along a major road within the ACT to see if it was possible to
get from A to B without speeding. Rather than looking for specific
number plates like the RAPID system, it would generate a record for
each vehicle. There was a Design Study released that rather
comprehensively outlines the state of systems around Australia
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/roads/road_safety/speedandspeeding/act_government_safety_camera_program/point_to_point_speed_cameras

The study specifically addresses the fact this system could be used to
"provide data for mass surveillance applications". Furthermore "The
primary issue with this application is not technical but social. Mass
surveillance would represent a significant policy shift and raise
human rights and civil liberties concerns". I note that in considering
the Privacy and Human Rights issues, the report "recommended that
images of non-offending vehicles are deleted from roadside equipment
as soon as practicably possible".