[LINK] The ACMA and Privacy

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Feb 1 16:23:47 AEDT 2011

Stephen,

The numbering plan does not deal with privacy-sensitive information. It
says "number block X is allocated to Telstra", which number blocks are
for telephones, which are data numbers (they still exist), which are
mobile numbers, the format that telephone numbers must take, the length
of a valid number and so on.

Where privacy becomes sensitive is when the number is associated with a
person - in, for example, the IPND. Use of that data is
privacy-sensitive and is treated as such (whether such treatment is
sufficient, I will leave to others more competent than I to decide).

RC