[LINK] Mobile phone use set to be banned in vehicles

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Feb 7 15:20:07 AEDT 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> At 01:46 PM 7/02/2011, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> >I hear that in the US they're putting Internet connectivity and apps
> >such as Facebook and Twitter into cars.
>
> oh no!
> I've been reading articles about proposals (yes, proposals only) to
> make texting in the car illegal. I just shake my head and weep. Maybe
> it's an intentional Darwin effect? Who knows.

It's illegal in many (most?) US states.

In California they introduced the "hands-free only" laws about 2 years ago -
but "forgot" about SMS, so it was technically illegal to use a phone to call
whilst driving without handsfree, but legal to use one to send SMS.  Even
now there's some debate as to whether email while driving is legal or not...

As far as Facebook in cars, this was one of today's Superbowl ads for Chevy
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHDFafqykI

  Scott.