[LINK] [OT] Mobile phone use set to be banned in vehicles - nanny state?

Philip Argy pargy at argystar.com
Tue Feb 8 11:06:05 AEDT 2011

Like most things, it's a question of balance.  I've done advanced driving
courses and am well aware of the exponential effect of speed on stopping
distances (just try practising stopping/swerving on wet short grass, which
renders ALB and traction control almost useless).  But I'm also aware of how
dangerous is the distraction caused by continually checking the speedo and
having to brake when posted speed limits are unnaturally low for the
location, weather conditions and time of day, whether than be 90 km/h on a
freeway at 2am in fine weather, when 130 km/h would be totally safe in any
modern car, or having surrounding traffic having to whiz by you because they
think you're going too slow.

In my view almost every stretch of road has a 'natural' speed.  More account
needs to be taken of that when setting posted speed limits.

Philip