[LINK] Effective data rate

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Feb 17 17:36:12 AEDT 2011

On 17/02/2011, at 4:35 PM, Gordon Keith wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:00:55 PM Kim Holburn wrote:
>> I was thinking the other day.  I have an 8Mb/s ADSL connection with a 30GB
>> data cap.
>>
>> If I had a connection that ran full throttle for a month and got 30GB my
>> connection would be roughly effectively a data rate of 93Kb/s.
>>
>> It's a pity we can't get ISPs to advertise the effective data rate of their
>> services.
>
> A more meaningful observation is that you have 8 hr 20 min of download per
> month.
>
> The data rate you get when you are sitting at the computer is the most
> important to users so 8Mb/s is a fair description (if that is what you get).

Neither of those make sense to me. An effective data rate could be viewed differently if all I were interested in were torrents, etc (I am not). But in any event, just because I'm NOT at my computer is no reason to assume that I am not seeking to redistribute data.

Further, many ISPs have data which does not form any part of the cap, and some who measure up and downloads in the cap. Where would this fit in?

Puzzled...

iT