[LINK] NBN and Batteries

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Feb 23 21:39:41 AEDT 2011

This battery thing suggests to me that the original NBN solution didn't
think it all the way through.

My view is that every solution creates new problems. In this case it
looks to me as though they (a range of people, not just the NBN) are
trying to modify the NBN to replicate the system being replaced, not
look at is as a new problem.

The new problem is not "how do you keep the NBN up in times of power
loss in an emergency?" but it should be "how do you provide emergency
communications in times of power loss?" Just because the POTS could
still be used when power was lost, doesn't mean that the NBN should
provide the same solution.

And when you analyse the problem it becomes clear that power can be lost
to a variety of systems (NBN, mobiles, TV, etc) and in a variety of
circumstances (bushfire, storm, flood, earthquake, cyclone).

It would be nice to have a solution that covered the real problem, not
just part of it.

But that would be a bit radical, especially when it comes to ICT.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn