[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sun Jan 9 16:46:25 AEDT 2011

Richard,

The point is that in Australia, prices are quoted including
the Tax - which retailers may wish to change. In the US, it
took some getting used to, to discover the price at the
Checkout was higher than the price on the shelf or the menu.
I think it was something around 15% - though I can't confirm
this.

You also need to allow a bit for exchange rates - we may see
some change as the Australian Dollar has only relatively
recently
made and exceeded parity with the US. So, you could allow
10-20% there too.

So, we could be looking at a 10-20% price difference between
the US and Australia - perhaps partly justifiable by product
localisation costs for a small market/lack of competition.

Deals with retailers/telcos etc are likely to be more
complex than markups on individual products.

Marghanita