[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 9 18:03:58 AEDT 2011

Marghanita,

I realise the difference in price quotation. My assertion is twofold:

1. Tax quotations don't account for enough of the difference between
Australia and the US.

2. When I see products whose prices do not change in spite of a 20%
appreciation in the Australian dollar, I think we can safely ignore
differences in tax regimes.

I have, in fact, identified a couple of products that are *cheaper* in
Australia than the US: so some vendors actually allow prices to move
with exchange rates.

In all of this, the point I want to get across is that while "blame
Harvey Norman" is easy and populist, it's not entirely accurate.

As for other factors:

Localisation - less important than it used to be. For example, power
supplies are now universal - you're not making a different 240 V / 110 V
version of the product any more, except for stuff like large whitegoods.
Local approvals are now aligned with international approvals for most
things, and manufacturers can self-certify things like electrical /
electronic goods.

Small Market - important. The supplier doesn't discount in Australia for
50,000 units anywhere near as much as it would discount in the US for a
million units. But doesn't that also suggest that suppliers are
indulging in geographic price discrimination? (Of course they are)

A final point. I know from experience that "online is cheaper than
bricks-and-mortar" is a gross oversimplification. When I bought a chest
freezer in December, the best price I could get was from a no-glitz,
not-in-the-mall shop in Parramatta. By going "low rent" - after all, the
warranty is backed by the manufacturer, not the retailer - I beat the
local online prices by about 20% (and the "big retail" prices by about
30%). It's just that I had to give up the convenience, and spend an hour
on the street instead of clicking my way to a deal.

RC