[LINK] More on flash cookies

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jan 13 10:58:47 AEDT 2011

I just figured out why ABC iView wasn't working on my Linux box - I had
emptied and then read/write protected the .macromedia directory (as
described in an earlier discussion on Link). This was an effective
counter to flash cookies from most flash sites, but for iView it
prevented the content being delivered.

The symptom was that ABC iView showed a "Please wait" animation -
forever.

When I allowed iView to create its directory tree, THEN write-locked the
tree (read-only, no write) everything worked again, though obviously
iView didn't remember some stuff anymore. I unlocked it, set my desired
iView settings (no auto-fullscreen, small buffers), then locked it
again. Now iView doesn't remember where I am up to in a partly-viewed
program, but I can live without that.

Since I do basically trust the ABC (is that wise?) I tried unlocking
just the ABC-related directories, but there seems to be a copy-on-exit
mechanism set up with temporary directories which confounds things.

I intend to advise the ABC about this, as it's basically a bug. The ABC
should not insist on providing what are effectively mere conveniences if
the user does not want them. It *should* detect that it cannot
read/write/whatever the desired directory/file, and should advise the
viewer. Ideally it should provide for the user to settings in a
user-specified directory.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/                   +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687
Old fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156