[LINK] FLoods taking out banking infrastructure

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jan 14 10:28:49 AEDT 2011

Rachel Polanskis wrote:
<snip>
> That is why I mentioned geoclustering, which would permit,
> for example, the Brisbane Datacentre to be mirrored to a similar one
> in another centre and, if I understand the technology, distance is not really
> a problem so long of course as you have a route there.  I think we might end up
> seeing big bundles of NBN fibre being used to support this in future, perhaps....
>
> Multi-tiered apps that can be horizontally scaled are good candidates
> for geoclustering.  You could run all the web front ends in any city and have
> databases setup for distributed mesg queues between one another, I guess
> for all the transaction traffic.  I don't know if banks do it like this now, or if it
> would be unsecure, but it is an option that means downtime is reduced quite
> a bit...
<snip>
Is it at the app or operating system?

Way back in the late 80s when I was in the systems area, I
think they were already looking at Clustering Vaxes across
the Ethernet. My understanding of the Internet protocol is
that finding alternative routes was one of its features.  I
would expect Robustness should be one of the benefits of the
Cloud.

Also some years ago one of the benefits of having call
centres in different time zones was to cut after hours
labour costs. An additional benefit is robustness.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au