[LINK] Australians breaking the rules to get cheaper iTunes

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Jan 20 11:10:33 AEDT 2011

To buy from iTunes US, you have to have a US credit card and a US billing address. With these credentials, it doesn't matter where you end up listening to the music. Or you can use an American Express card, from what I've heard.

However, the US iTunes rules (thanks to record and TV companies, apparently) are strict:

"The Service is available to you only in the United States, its territories, and possessions. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside these locations. Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance."

(http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/)

Incidentally, the iTunes Terms are viewable on an iPhone, but have plenty of time to spare - it spans 57 pages.

So pretty much anyone who can verify that they reside in the US can buy material, but depending upon your interpretation, US travellers cannot use the service once they leave the shores of their mother country.

There's always Amazon...

iT