[LINK] Looking for a real book in a library

Steven Clark steven.clark at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 24 12:13:55 AEDT 2011

On 24/01/11 08:27, Tom Worthington wrote:
> While on holiday I got a message to say that a book I had requested was
> ready for collection from the library. Back from holidays I went to the
> library and asked at the front desk for the book. But was told that
> because I had taken so long the book was no longer there.
i've had the same problem at every one of my local universities
libraries - and the local councils' lending libraries. the system design
seems to assume that if the hold period expires, you are no longer
interested in the object.

the library staff (increasingly few of whom are librarians) *can* find
out what was last done with the thing - but that requires looking
something up using a different interface to the database (though in some
systems, the 'live' catalogue and the 'back of house' database are
separate systems. lots of fun for everyone.)

> Perhaps I should see this as success with the process of turning
> libraries into online information centres, but it is a little sad to see
> the passing of the era when libraries were about books (that is "paper"
> books).

or perhaps the staff at that library have grown so accustomed to doing
everything via a keyboard that they have forgotten 'customer service'
skills - that at least a few of them must have heard about from someone,
once upon a time ... perhaps in a powerpoint presentation ... ?

--
Steven