[LINK] Australia's Telecommunications future with no Redundant Paths

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun Jan 30 12:12:48 AEDT 2011

Comments around the world in relation to the Egyptian Internet Shut-down
appear to be an echo of what could be in Australia's future if we allow
the copper to be removed.

Interesting article at:

http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/29/egypts-internet-kill-switch

Quote/
http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/29/egypts-internet-kill-switch#comment_21
09469
I just realized. I don't have a landline and neither does any neighbor
that I know. Dailup would be impossible for me. I might be able to find
someone nearby that had one, but I don't know if they would let the
whole neighborhood use it.
.
This is precisely why I keep my landline, old analog stuff, and still
request paper trails of everything when possible.
I would love to see, just for one day, all these young people, college
students and other people completely dependent on WI-FI, Skype and every
other digital "need" function without them.
.
What about TCP/IP over shortwave? Slow as balls but still functional for
text communication. If not TCP/IP then just RTTY? That said, I don't
have the equipment for this.
Every little bit helps, I suppose, but the minuscule percentage of the
population who now have the requisite foresight to thus prepare and
would then have the requisite techie wherewithal to connect and
configure dial-up internet access would be laughably short of the
critical mass necessary to front a cogent response to anything.

With Legislation like the US S. 3480 Protecting Cyberspace as a National
Asset Act of 2010 (Believe me it's not about protecting your
Cyberspace.) proposed and read.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111s3480rs/pdf/BILLS-111s3480rs.pdf

We might see (with the fibre NBN and no alternative competitive network,
that all Roads do lead to Rome (err, that would be a big red off button
on Stephen Conroy's wall labelled, "Turn off Internet here").

Nah, couldn't happen in Australia - We've got Democracy and wireless
internet from Vodaphone, Telstra and Optus.
Mobile phone companies never ever turn off their customers.

At the next round of elections let us vote for redundancy, redundancy,
competition and redundancy.

Errr, that would be:  NBN +Copper ADSL +WIFI +Wireless(9?? Mhz).